Friday, April 26, 2013

Interview ~ Self-help/parenting help author Daniel Alexander


Happy Friday, everyone! Today I had a chance to get together with Daniel Alexander and find out a bit more about him and his book, Through the Crimson Mirror, a non-fiction, autobiography, self-help, parenting book. Check out his cover and description. 

Do you know how concerned parents who are looking for ways to better understand their children have read all the old material and still can’t seem to get the right results? Teenage depression continues to soar, more and more girls are having unwanted pregnancies and abortions, drug and alcohol use continues to climb, in areas such as this, x-parties are becoming more and more frequent; the list goes on and on.

What I do is show life from a child’s point of view, which gives parents a more complete picture so they can better understand their children, better understand their feelings and attitudes and give them a better start to life.

I also show people who are facing difficulties that they are not alone, which is often their greatest, unspoken fear.

I’m looking for parents, people who are facing difficulties.


Okay, Daniel, thanks for being here! Let's get right to the interview. How would you describe your book in 20 words or less without using the blurb?
A story that touches many people today. One of courage, learning, growing, bravery.

Writing can be lonely. Did you have support at the beginning and/or during your writing? 
I have two great editors who helped me through most of the process. I say they helped me through the process, because I didn’t pay them. They offered to do it for free for me, so it really was just good old fashioned help.

That is wonderful. A great support group is always a plus. 

Do you read reviews written about your book? 
Yes! I encourage people to tell me the good and bad. The only way to grow is to get honest feedback. Fortunately, most of it has been good so far.

I love reviews! It's so fun to interact with readers. So, do you write at a laptop/desktop or do you write freehand?
A little bit of all of those. Most of the beginning of my writing was done free hand. Then it moved to desktop, and sometimes I write in coffee shops on my laptop.

What’s the hardest part of writing a book? 
Starting. Without a doubt that first word is the most challenging!

I have to agree. And you edit that first word so many times! So, why did you choose the genre you write in? 
I choose this genre because I want to make a difference.

That's admirable. I suppose we all have our different goals. I imagine it's nice to know you're helping people. Did you do any research before start or during of the writing of the books? 
Yes, lots of research. I love learning, so this was really cool for me. I read many books to support what I said. In addition, I did many interviews with a range of people including students, teachers, mental-health professionals, people in prison, reformed alcoholics and drug addicts, and many more.

Sounds like it was a long process and a lot of research involved for sure. Most authors are readers too. Which genres do you prefer to read? 
Most non-fiction. But I tend to write differently to what I read. I read very factual books, and wrote my book more as a story with human interest. It’s a best of both, a story so it’s easy to read, but it has all the facts.

I have to be honest, I don't really like dry, factual nonfiction. Your book sounds like something I could enjoy.

How important do you find the communication between you and your readers? Do you reply to their messages or read their reviews? 
Yes. I’ve regularly chat with some of my fans. I’m not selling books to sell books, I’m selling books to make a difference in people’s lives, so staying in touch is a big thing for me.

Have you ever Googled yourself? 
Yip. Who hasn’t…

:-) Your cover says this is book one. How many more books can we expect in this series? 
There are three books in the series in total. I spoke to people before publishing my book, and because so many people are busy today, they’d rather have multiple shorter books, than one long one. I took all their advice and split my original book into three. Most people that have read the first did so in a night. So mission accomplished.

Sounds like you've put all that research to good use with three books and written in a story manner. Congratulations on the books and I really do appreciate you taking the time to do this interview! 

About Daniel Alexander:
I was born in Durban, South Africa.I was born in 1983, which means I'll turn 30 in the year 2013 (which is the year in which I'm writing this page). For many years, I worked as a programmer, but after suffering from depression, I wrote my book and my story, and now work to try prevent more and more people from slipping into depression and related illnesses. Most of that is done via my book, and for local groups, I do talks. The speaking is something that I wish to grow, and eventually want to become a professional speaker.

Due to my research, experience and interviews, I am very knowledgeable in a wide range of topics that us human-beings have to deal with, including: communication, education, relationships, sex, mental-health, addiction and more. In my local city, I have appeared on various radio stations a few times, and been featured in a few newspapers and magazines, some of which are on my media articles page.


Want to connect with Daniel Alexander? You can find him here:

Want  to buy Through the Crimson Mirror?
Kindle: www.amazon.com/dp/B00904HFTQ Or order from Daniel directly on his website. 

Thank you readers for taking the time out of your day to learn more about this book. Happy reading and have a wonderful weekend!
~~ Chantel~~

3 comments:

  1. Interesting author interview, Chantel. And congratulations to Daniel, certainly an interesting topic for parents today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. General education offers international students the opportunity to gain essential analytical and scientific skills relevant to their chosen area of study.Germany is having number of top universities which offers various courses with best education.
    Study in Germany

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!