Monday, May 14, 2012

Books I Love ~ Michal's Window by Rachelle Ayala

Michal's Window by Rachelle Ayala
5 stars!
Michal's Window
 Not your Grandma's Bible Story...

It's not easy being a woman, least of all princess of Israel. Married as a prize, abandoned as a wife, Michal fights to claim her rightful spot next to King David, the man she loves with all her heart. 

Separated by war, concubines, and kingdom politics, Michal embarks on a journey of adventure and heartache where she is befriended by a goddess-worshipping priestess and tempted by a Philistine prince.

From reading scrolls high atop the palace walls to seduction with a henna-painted body, Michal is not your ordinary Bible heroine. Join her in Michal's Window and let her delight you with her courage, devotion, and outrageous passion in her relentless drive to win back her husband. 

My review:
I loved the story of Michal's Window.  Admittedly, I read it as a favor to Rachelle at first, since I know her (and she is a terrific person), but it is not normally a genre I would have picked, expecting it to be only understood by very religious people.  I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to find that not to be the case.

Michal's Window is a wonderful mix of biblical fact and imagination. It is easy to cheer for the tenacious Michal as she fights for the man she loves. Michal's longing for David and her undying love, even in the face of adversity, pulls at your heart as you live her life through her eyes.

Not being a person who is 100% up to date on bible stories, Michal's Window slipped me into the fantasy of 1000 B.C. Israel. Ayala does a wonderful job at mixing fact with fiction, and the story gripped me from beginning to end. The familiar story of David and Goliath is fascinating to watch play out per Ayala's interpretation. The seduction of Bathsheba is reenacted in an intriguing and intimate manner. The other parts of the Bible that I am less familiar with did not detract for me being able to enjoy the story Ayala portrays.

Although the LORD does play a large part in the book for David, I never felt preached at. Instead, I was wrapped up in the characters and their problems as if I were there, walking in their sandals.

Ayala has wonderfully portrayed both the time and the people. I would definitely recommend this book to any lovers of romance or historical fiction.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for recommending my book among other wonderful books. I enjoyed Carol's book too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!