Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#BookReview - Foreigner In My Own Backyard - Humor

Title: Foreigner In My Own Backyard
Author: Travis Casey
Genre: Autobiographical humor
Release Date: August 1, 2014
My Rating: 4 stars!


A family crisis brings Travis Casey back to the land he used to call home after living in England for the past two decades.

His parents need him – not as a carer as he expected, but as someone to drive them from Florida back to their home in Minnesota.

Just as well; he’s not a caring person, but he is a damn good driver.

But the country is not how he left it…

Casey uses his own brand of humor to explore what has changed in America since he lived there – that’s when he’s not recounting the chaos that occurs as he attempts to reestablish himself as an American. He discovers that entering the United States with his British wife is more difficult than he had anticipated.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
--Chinese Proverb

A journey of seven thousand miles begins with a trip to the US Embassy
Review: 
I'm a big fan of Travis Casey and his brand of humor. Though much different from his fiction works (in Tyler's Trouble Trilogy books are far-fetched Navy journeys of laughter and thrills) I still really enjoyed this one. This autobiographical story about Travis Casey and his wife uprooting their lives in the UK to move back to America to take care of his aging parents is so easy to relate to. Many of us have to sacrifice for the love of our family. Travis' parents are lovable and exasperating all at the same time, and it was great reading about the different trials they go through with Dad not wanting to give up his independence and Mom becoming forgetful. It made me think so much of my grandparents and what we all face with age. 

There were a lot of funny bits in the book that gave me a good laugh, most notably a reference about a mountain and a molehill. As always, Travis Casey entertains. Read this book to get a glimpse into the mind and life of a writer, and a good chuckle along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!