Monday, March 12, 2012

Books I Love - 3/12

I've been trying to figure out what to do with this blog, more than just tell stories about myself and what I am doing writing.  I thought it might be fun to swap titles of great books.  Every Monday, I'll recommend a book that I like, and you guys can tell me what you like.

I know it would be more appropriate for me to start with a romance author for my first suggestion, but my first book is actually a mystery because Mary Higgins Clark is having a sale for e-books on six of her novels this week, and since she included my all-time favorite book of hers in the sale, I wanted to let you know about it.

A Cry in the Night is the ultimate Cinderella story gone wrong.  Amazon Description:  When Jenny MacPartland meets the man of her dreams while working in a New York art gallery, she's ecstatic. Painter Erich Krueger -- whose exquisite landscapes are making him a huge success -- is handsome, sensitive...and utterly in love with her. They marry quickly and Jenny plans a loving home on Erich's vast Minnesota farm. But lonely days and eerie nights strain her nerves to the breaking point and test her sanity. Caught in a whirlpool of shattering events, Jenny soon unearths a past more terrifying than she dares imagine...tragic secrets that threaten her marriage, her children, her life.

This is a great mystery/thriller and one of Mary Higgins Clark's best books ever.  You can get to the sale on it here for Kindle or here for Nook.  She's put these promotional books on sale from regular price of $7.99 to $3.99 for the next week.  No, normally I won't be trying to sell every book I recommend, but since these are on sale, I thought I would mention it.

Really, I would recommend any of her earlier books that are mysteries.  In the last few years, she has changed to just straight suspense, telling you right away who the bad guy is, and I don't like that as well.  Although she is still a wonderful author.  Her first book, Where Are the Children? is also on this sale, and I highly recommend that one too.  It was, in fact, the first book of hers I ever read, and the story that got me hooked on mystery novels.  My mom's boyfriend brought it home one day, trying to butter me up.  Since he married my mom and is now my loving Poppa, I guess that's okay! :-)

So, what are you all reading?  What do you recommend others try?

Have a terrific week!

2 comments:

  1. Good post, Chantel! I read mysteries/thrillers a long time ago, but haven’t read them in years… probably should return. I did just read a good psychological mystery/thriller by a fairly new Irish author who has been receiving lots of good reviews. Her name is Tana French and her first book is 'Into the Woods'. She writes beautifully – she studied theatre and I think it shows in her descriptions and in the emotional responses of her characters - and the story takes place in and around Dublin. I just got her second book, 'The Likeness'. BTW, I read an author interview with her and was surprised to read that she doesn’t plot her books. I always thought mystery and thriller writers were meticulous plotters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - great suggestion. Sounds very interesting. I love a good psychological thriller. I'm very diverse in my reading interests, but mysteries have always gripped me in a way other genres don't quite manage.

    Nice to know her books are so good and she doesn't plot. I can't plot to save my life. Plan my characters all out, know their motivations, yes. Actually what they are going to do ... I don't have a clue until they tell me. Since I'm just starting a romance mystery, it's nice to know someone is successful at mysteries who doesn't plot! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!