Monday, April 16, 2012

Books I Love ~ 4/16


First off, I must apologize for missing last week's pick.  Time slipped away from me and before I knew it, Monday had passed.  However, this week's pick more than makes up for missing a week:

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

The haunting first line of this book often plays through my mind at random moments.  We were required to read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier senior year in high school.  I was determined to not enjoy it.  After all, who likes required reading?

It's impossible not to become intrigued by this story, however.  I soon went from reading only the required pages every night to racing through the entire book in a few evenings.  Even my other classmates got into it.  Most of us finished long before our time limit was up.  That had never happened to me before with required reading.  Sure, I was a bookworm, so I often finished the books early.  But to have my classmates also read it that quickly? That proves this is a great book!

I have read Rebecca many more times since that long-ago day in high school, and it still grips me and excites me every time I read it. My heart breaks for the main character all over again while she tries to understand the relationship between Max, a man she loves more than anything, and his dead wife, Rebecca, who died in a boating accident.  The mystery continues to spin, as the sinister Mrs. Danvers convinces the MC that she will never live up to Rebecca's memory.

I love this story!  Definitely a timeless classic that I will never tire of reading.

What are you reading today?  Have a great  week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. What a great reminder that I need to read this book! They also read this in our high school, and I had it on a list a long time ago. Adding it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They finally got something right on a school reading list - LOL. Thanks for stopping by, Melinda!

      Delete
  2. Great post! LOVED this book. I read it way back in HS, too. I'm a sucker for these gothic stories. I love the original Hitchcock film, too, with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine and the super-creepy Mrs. Danvers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I actually have seen the movie once, a long time ago. I'm usually not so big on movies from books, cause I prefer to read. However, I might have to watch this one again sometime. Have a great day!

      Delete

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!