Monday, April 2, 2012

Books I Love ~ 4/2

Vampires and werewolves and telepathy... oh my!

This week, I'm going to tell you all about my guilty little pleasure... well, not so little.  A few years ago I read Twilight with my daughter, which made me realize I'm not so big on the whole sweet vampires/teen angst-type of books.  Those are perfectly fine for anyone who likes that type of book, but I realized I'm not that person.  So, I thought I would stay away from the vampire culture shock taking over the reading industry. 

However, one night I flipped through channels on TV before bed (no matter how many channels you have, there's never anything good on!).  I landed on HBO.  There was some weird show on. A vampire, just awakened after first being created, wandered the forest with her maker, Bill, looking for dinner.  I thought, "This is strange.  What the heck is this?"  For some reason, I kept watching.  It's an addiction, really, and from then on I started religiously watching True Blood.  It comes on in the summer on HBO, and my whole family became addicted.  I always know where everyone will be Sunday night in the summer, with me, in the living room, watching True Blood

DeadlockedThen came my birthday, and my daughter (knowing how much I love to read) went out and found the first two books the series is based on.  The Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris.  OMG! I became obsessed! These are not your typical vampire novels, and Harris has been writing long before Twilight took over our vampire culture.  These books are wonderful!  I raced through those first two in three days and had to run to the store to buy the next seven books. 

So goes my ongoing love affair with Sookie and her fierce--yet deliciously sexy--vampires.  The twelfth novel, Deadlocked, will be out in May, so if I disappear for a while, you'll know where I am.  I normally re-read the entire series and then go on to read the new book each year when the new release comes out. 

Charlaine Harris also writes several other series of books.  I've read them all and they're all great, but Sookie remains my favorite (though the Lily Bard mysteries are my daughter's favorite).  You can visit  Harrris' page here.

What are you reading?  

Have a terrific week!  Happy reading, everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!