Monday, November 26, 2012

#BookReview ~ Willow's Journey ~ Fantasy/YA

Title:      The Legend of the Travelers: Willow's Journey
Author:  Jennifer Donohoe
Genre:   Fantasy/Young Adult
Rating:  3+ stars


Picture
Amazon Product Page

I really love the premise of this book and the idea of the Travelers. Willow is basically the last of her kind (unless her mother is out there somewhere). Travelers have the ability to move in time and see occurrences of the past. One of Willow’s ancestors hid the Four Jewels of legend, and everyone wants their hands on them. As only a Traveler can unlock the secrets to find the jewels, Willow is much sought after and has no idea who she can really trust. 

Willow has been brutally attacked and cannot remember her past. Many people claim to be her friends, but she gets conflicting information. No one seems to want to really help her, and Willow struggles to remember her identity and why the young man who lives in the same house as her, Ryuu, seems to hate her and blame her for anything and everything. 

I did have a few issues with this book. There is much mystery surrounding Willow’s past and that seems to go on too long, for me at least. I became impatient with everyone patting Willow’s head and telling her they would tell her things later. Also, Willow made a few questionable decisions that I felt created problems for herself where she didn’t need to. However, I am a reader of fantasy books, not Young Adult, so it could be that some of the things I had a problem with are actually normal for this genre and I am only judging it based on its fantasy elements. 

That said, once I hit about the halfway point, I literally could not put this book down. When Willow started figuring out what was really going on, I was captivated with the events as they unfolded. I like the mixture of different myths and legends woven throughout this book. There are many exciting magic/fantasy elements that are very fun to read. The final showdown is awesome and worth the wait to get there. 

Overall, I really like the concept of this story and can’t wait for the next in the series. Although the mystery surrounding Willow is answered, there is still much for Willow to do and many threads of the story I can’t wait to see played out in subsequent books.

Happy reading, my friends! Have a terrific weekend!
eeeChantelfff

P.S. Don't forget my policy to read the samples before you buy! Everyone's tastes are different. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Chantel

    Thank you so much for this open and honest review of my book. I really enjoyed your words and even though I wrote the book, I get charged up and want to read it from your enthusiasm alone. Great work. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work to you! I'm looking forward to the next in the series! Happy writing!

      Delete

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!