Friday, June 7, 2013

#BookReview ~ Crisis of Identity by Denise Moncrief ~ Romantic Suspense

Title:     Crisis of Identity
Author: Denise Moncrief
Genre:  Romantic Suspense
Rating: 4 stars


Book blurb:
Tess Copeland is an operator. Her motto? Necessity is the mother of a good a con. When Hurricane Irving slams into the Texas Gulf coast, Tess seizes the opportunity to escape her past by hijacking a dead woman’s life, but Shelby Coleman’s was the wrong identity to steal. And the cop that trails her? He’s a U.S. Marshall with the Fugitive Task Force for the northern district of Illinois. Tess left Chicago because the criminal justice system gave her no choice. Now she’s on the run from ghosts of misdeeds past—both hers and Shelby’s.


Enter Trevor Smith, a pseudo-cowboy from Houston, Texas, with good looks, a quick tongue, and testosterone poisoning. Will Tess succumb to his questionable charms and become his damsel in distress? She doesn’t have to faint at his feet—she’s capable of handling just about anything. But will she choose to let Trevor be the man? When Tess kidnaps her niece, her life changes. She must make some hard decisions. Does she trust the lawman that promises her redemption, or does she trust the cowboy that promises her nothing but himself?

My Review:
I have been wanting to read this book since announcing it's release on my blog a few months ago, and I'm so glad I finally got a chance to read it! This book opens full of action and doesn't let up. Denise Moncrief writes with a very intense, fast-paced style that is a bit different from what I normally read, but you are kept in the action throughout the book.

Tess definitely has issues, and I enjoyed how the what and why of her trouble unfolded throughout the book. Between Trevor and Jake, I didn't know who Tess should really be trusting, as my mind changed several times about which man was actually telling the truth. Tess, herself, is very tough and capable and I like her a lot.

The one problem I had with this book is that the action is so fast and intense and sometimes in between chapters there would be a jump in the action where we didn't see something that happened and it would take me a little bit to catch up and realize what had happened. However, if you like fast-paced action, this would be a plus.

I liked the subplot of what was going on with Shelby's life (the woman's identity Tess stole) and kept me intrigued. As the story progresses, Tess becomes even more likable, in my opinion, because of the choices she makes. Especially when it comes to family matters with her niece and ex's sister.

The big question for me is always about the romance. Which man really has her best interests in mind and who can she trust? These were the questions that kept me quickly turning the pages. When the romance finally came out, it was a bit fast and I would have loved the happy couple to have a little more time together (what can I say? I'm a sucker for the mushy bits) but I was happy that Tess had finally let herself open up to him.

The one thing that I saw as a drawback for this book is one of the big story questions was left unanswered. I'm hoping that means the author is doing a sequel, but I like all the major things to be resolved by the end of a book, so would have preferred to know the answer to this one - yep, I'm impatient! ;-)

This is a great, quick-paced read and I recommend it for your weekend reading pleasures. I'm so glad I finally had the opportunity to read this book, and I look forward to reading more books by Denise Moncrief!


Happy reading, my friends! Have a fantastic weekend!
~~ Chantel ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!