Monday, June 17, 2013

#BookReview ~ The Timekeeper ~ Jordana Barber

Title:    The Timekeeper ~ Book One of the Aliis Mundi Series
Author: Jordana Barber
Genre: Fantasy/Angels/Paranormal Romance
Rating: 4 stars






The Timekeeper, one of the manipulators of the threads of fate, is now the target of Angels. After being on the protected list of every race known since her existence, Ilana is now forced to knock the rust off her Assassin training. Her death will trigger the end of time, but with her Dragon husband, a Demon King, and her own group of oddball guardians as her only chance, she might be able to save herself. Deception lingers in the Timekeepers world, and the beginning of the end of time hangs in the balance.








My Review
I have to say, this book is very different from anything I have read before. There is a bit of mythology, a bit of modern religious beliefs, and a very compelling voice from the demon princess herself. 

In the first couple pages, I honestly wasn't certain I would enjoy  this book. There is quite a bit of back story given about Ilana's 'real' life on the other side of the veil, what her job is, and the people surrounding her and her family, that I thought I would get lost. However, the voice of the character was so compelling and entertaining that I had to read on. And I'm glad I did.

I really, really like Ilana. She is tough, capable, and does her best to do what she sees as right, even if she is half demon and certain values (such as faithfulness to one's spouse) aren't quite in keeping with a traditional romance story. I was drawn in by the problems she faced, the fact that she was helping fallen angels, trying to protect her family (and really everyone with the job she has), and the strength she had within herself to do what needed done. I also enjoyed the details about mythology and other fantasy elements incorporated into Barber's world. 

There were parts in which I got confused as to which character was speaking, which did detract slightly from my overall enjoyment. That said, it was never enough to stop me from reading. The idea for this story is unique. I felt as though the main characters weren't just a rehash of everything I'd already read before, and I think it's a great start to the series. 

Four stars from me and a wonderful job on this author's debut book. I look forward to reading more by Jordana Barber and more in this world she has created.

You can find TheTimekeeper on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Timekeeper-Aliis-Mundi-Series-ebook/dp/B008Y6B0Q0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t  

Happy reading, my friends. Have a great week! 
~~ Chantel ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! If you enjoy what you read, have a question, or just want to tell me off ;-), please say it all here!

I did have to restrict anonymous users because there was way too much spam. Sorry about that! If you can't post here and need to reach me, check out my "About" page and contact me through one of those methods. Have a great day!